Inclusive period education
Welcome to the tenth and final episode of season 1 S3XtheorywithDemi & Friends – and what a way to end! In this episode, Demi is joined by Tara Costello (she/her) to discuss inclusive period education. From the history of why periods are gendered, to why inclusive menstruation education is vital to everyone, Demi and Tara discuss what the future for period education is with personal stories of their own period education.
Tara is a writer and educator who has been talking frankly and writing about menstruation for more than a decade. Her debut book Red Moon Gang: An Inclusive Guide to Periods is out now.
What you will find in this episode:
- A brief history of why periods are gendered
- Why do we need inclusive period education?
- Demi recapping their first period/puberty lesson with year 7 girls
- How can we make the way we discuss and teach menstruation inclusive?
- Tampons are a graduation?
- Biggest pet peeves of period misonceptions
- Touching on the pink-glove situation
- Next steps for period education